Saturday, August 30, 2008

Make Way, Woman Coming Through

John McCain has chosen Sarah Palin, governor of Alaska, as his VP running mate. There is an uproar about it, and I'm just excited.

Everybody is talking about her experience, family, and the fact that she isn't like Hillary, but the fact is that she is a woman. No, we don't want just any woman as a leader, but I think she had to accept that offer.

Women have been fighting for rights and leadership positions for years. Hillary Clinton was positioned to be the first female president. That would have been historic. Now we have a chance to have a woman as VP. She's Republican, and she has all of these dynamic qualities that would make her appealing to the some of the masses. She has been governor of Alaska for a few years and served as mayor. She's got five kids, a kid in military, and a new special needs baby.

I don't care what she does or does not have, as a woman, if your phone rings and somebody asks you to run to be the first _______, and offers you support and resources to do it, I think you have to take it. Often the game is being played by men, and when the boys consider you enough to invite you to the team, you got to go play. Sometimes you have to play whatever position they let you, but remember, you're now the only girl on the field. If you figure it out and don't get blamed for losing the game, you can stay on the field, maybe change positions, or suggest another girl for the team. Boom, doorway opened.

Yes, she's got five kids and might be dragging a 4-month-old around the country. Yes, she's new to the block of US politics. Yes, she's done interesting things and maybe had a little scandal. She might not have any foreign policy experience. She might not have anything in common with Hillary Clinton except anatomy, but some women will just throw her support and some others who just don't want a brother in the White House. (Then you couldn't necessarily call it The White House.) But, if somebody called me and asked me, you better believe I would take it and know there were sacrifices to the family, and that I'd get bumped around as wet behind the ears, but I would figure it out as it happened. Pay a nanny to travel if I had to, do coursework secretly, whatever it took, I would do it.

You know why? Because the reason I give for not accepting it, lack of experience or confidence in experience, family obligations, other commitments, etc., are exactly the reasons the boys on the team will not call another woman the next time. They won't risk the risk on depending on a woman and her not stepping up or giving up whatever she is doing to if they need her. They will question her priorities. Or they'll say, "She won't do it. She's got kids."

Some of this is about Republicans and Democrats. Some of this is about women's space in politics or breaking glass ceilings. I am not going to vote for Sarah Palin or John McCain, but I thank them for keeping my spot on the team open. (Next time is coming.)

2 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

I guess if you're going to have a placeholder there are worse options. What I wish folks would stop doing is look at the Governor or Senator Obama as "the last chance."
There was a reason the both of them got the nod. They both worked their butts off and did what they had to do to get to the positions they were in, made friends along the way, and figured out how the game was played. The good Senator from NY played her part as well.
I take a different approach to a lot of these situations. If you can see what's going on, that means the door's open. Don't asked to be invited in. Walk on through. There's this great picture of Senator Obama in a circle of senior Senators (all old white men) and he's just listening in. He might not have said a word in their conversation but he heard what they said. Probably took it and did something else with it.
I don't know... I just kind of feel like you'll be marginalized if you let yourself be. It's a slimy business to keep from having people smile in your face and stab you in the back, but it certainly doesn't hurt to have someone holding the door open for you...
Good Post Ms. Jones...

Tamecia said...

I think what people are really doing is placing them as "the only chance," and that is why they feel so much more (Differently) is at stake. It is as if people don't have the faith they think they have. Like there will only be one chance, and the first equals the last.

I am not mad that she has to take it. I'm more mad that they are willing to use women to manipulate women. And I know that the even if somebody is holding the door, there is something expected (and unexpected) on the other side.