Saturday, January 05, 2008

Medicine and Cheerleaders

So this year I decided to do something on New Year's Eve. Mind you, I got sick the day after Christmas and was eventually diagnosed with sinusitis and bronchitis, so I was still sick on New Year's Eve. One of the side effects of all that was intermittent laryngitis, so I didn't even sound normal. Suffice it to say, I was in no condition for a major party.

I went to look for a little healing. After some conversational bonding with my dad, I hit the road at six pm on the way to Baltimore. Sometimes you can predict where your healing will come from, and this time it wasn't physical healing that was most important. Antibiotics make breathing less painful, and coughing less frequent, but spiritual and emotional balms were what was going to wrap up the last year and set me in a good space for the next year.

10 p.m. --After four hours of driving, some tips on where the Baltimore family is, and I sit in WatchNight Service surrounded mostly by people I don't know, but hearing the voice of one who encouraged my spirit weekly and periodically for years. I couldn't sing any of the songs because I didn't have a voice, but my voice wasn't the one that was important. I sat beside a lady who looked like my deceased godmother. After service, the hoarseness gave me away. "Let me give you a hug. School good? You know, there are such things as trains. You could ride those instead of driving all over the country. Be careful and take care of yourself. Steward your body." Spirit medicine! Check.

12:30 a.m. I went to my church home in Baltimore. Two little birdies had told me that they were eating after service, a la Miss Clusty. So I drove over, and as I walked into the sanctuary, the two birds were cheering with excitement. Hugs, kisses, compliments, questions, and encouragement. Mostly, "You look great! You sound terrible. Go get some food." I stand in line, and Miss Clusty says,"When did you get here?"---"10 minutes ago"---"Oh, you sound horrible. Give the baby two helpings of collards, chicken, and beans. We got to run the cold out of her and bring in the new year right!" And then I got some food for my body and love from the Payne family. One hour of old stories, congratulations, hugs without fear of germs, and funny looks from kids who were knee high when I left that went berserk when they figured out who it was. I got caught in a conversation telling my call story to a couple who were not surprised, and was reminded again of how unbelievable yet phenomenal my life path is. The husband says as he walks me to my car, "We look forward to hearing from you, but we are excited to hear about you." She blows kisses from the window. There is something about going somewhere where the people are always excited to see you. Stomach and Heart medicine. Check.

2:30 a.m. --I go the my room at the Westin (thanks Daddy!) with a full belly, warmed heart, Word-wrapped-like-gauze spirit, and go to sleep in the Heavenly Bed. Truly, this is G-d's doing.

The next day, I visit a model family, raincheck a Wii tournament with the kids, and check in with the mom and dad.

4p.m. --Get some Chick-Fil-A and Ethiopian for the road, and receive multiple calls from all those angels that knew I was sick and driving from Baltimore to Boston. They talked me home. (thanks Mom!)

12:15a.m. I'm walking into my apartment after 8 hours on the road and two naps where I can't account for not having lost time.

New Year's Day, and I feel my healing as it happens. Now I know for sure that I got cheerleaders if I'm just willing to continue playing God's game.

No comments: