Monday, January 14, 2008

Interesting Weekend...I

Friday night --- So I'm supposed to start a youth choir at my church. Do I sing? In the shower and the car. Do I play the piano? (Lean on Me on keyboard, 1990) Do I play anything? Of course, it was on the checklist as a child. Band. So I told the teenagers, and they stared at me blankly, and then when I repeated it with the added bonus of us starting a band, they told me they play instruments. There is a minister of music who can do all of those things necessary to lead a choir. Maybe this will work. At the interest meeting, I noticed the kids want to be Sister Act 3 or the Fighting Temptations, and they sang their first song (Happy Birthday to youth pastor). I think their ambition based on previous models is good. Now we just have to write and sing the vision. Well, I have had two rehearsals, and exactly 3 people have shown up at each one. Lots of interest (about a dozen), but not many vocal chords showing up for rehearsal. I now have the Spiritual Supremes without gender homogeneity, or instead of Three Mo Tenors, it is 1 Tenor and 2 Altos. The thing is there is a different three every rehearsal. The rest of my sopranos, altos, and tenors are at Girl Scouts, school dances, wrestling matches, studying for finals, and on crutches. And so, at worship service, only (metaphorically) Diana is present. So we are flexible, and teach everybody there the song...back to my youth mass choir (congregation) trick. I'm calling this process the permutations to perfection.

No comments: