Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Resolved...

So, I just got around to seeing the Great Debaters. It's midday and the only other people in the theatre are over 50 and not brown, except for another pair. Guess we were the three musketeers.

Anyway, it resonates with me because:
  1. I was on a debate team from 8th to 12th grade. The best thing about it was that there were only judges and the other team in the room. The second best thing about it was that I would prepare both sides no matter which one I was debating, and then I could avoid the 'overlooks.' (I have NEVER liked surprises.) Undefeated and still hate public speaking.
  2. As much as I didn't want to be, I am a teacher. I recognize the daily challenge and triumph of trying to resurrect and preserve an individual's 'righteous mind.' I also love the fact that this time he can SEE the fruit of the obsessivity that we teachers suffer from 24/7. It is not passion because you might not love it. It is obsessivity because there is no end and as soon as you accomplish one task, you birth multiple others. The question that haunts you ("WHY...?") is the root of your own behavior. "Why not...?"
  3. I like it when people dress as if they intended to accomplish something that day.
  4. I'm from the South (a two type people town) and I live in New England. A(my) drawl (when it slips out, ok all the time) is usually connected to a 'slowness' of intelligence rather than a slowness of cadence. Only when I am in a bubble-bursting mood do I set one up to receive the trickle down facts that I have degrees from Harvard arch enemies. But did I ever want to rewind over and over Jurnee Smollett's voice in any rhetorical delivery...followed by respectful applause.
  5. I cannot stand Boston. I believe that it is God's less-than-gracious prank on me. Today, I felt like this was a place where young people without their leader but "no opponent" could go deep into themselves, find who they are, and command accolade for the ability to think and present information. I can do that. My students can GO and WIN whatever they DECIDE. Here.
Now begins a love-hate relationship. Seems like I need to go run across that bridge, sit on Mem Drive, and figure out what I have RESOLVED that I have not completed. And I need to find a classroom. Quick.

2 comments:

Lawrenorder said...

Indeed.

KaishaAdia said...

i need to go see this movie!
and "I like it when people dress as if they intended to accomplish something that day." yes!